Are you looking for good opportunities to showcase your mapping talent? First time in India, Google is now announced its first Mapping competition, Mapathon 2013 in India. Google is inviting you to participate in this competition and create better maps. This competition is involves the task of creating better maps for Google.
If you want to explore your talent all around the world then you must participate in it. This competition pull crowd and get the most comprehensive and easy-to-use maps of the country. Mapathon is open for everyone living in India. The contestants are required to add their knowledge about local places with the help of a web based tool named Google Map Maker for improving the eminence and clarity of maps.
The Google Map Maker allows users to add more details, add new information and edit places, which they feel are inappropriate. Now everyone can update Google map. For sure Google will make its authenticity as it is a biggest search engine around the world. Before approving any update Google will verify it properly. Entire activities performed by users will be reviewed individually and approved by Google. The top 1000 contestants by number of published edits will receive cool prizes.
Google Map Maker project was led by Lalit Katragadda, Country Product Head executed along with a team of Googlers in India. Jayanth Mysore, Google’s Product Manager said about Map Maker project and Mapathon 2013, “The core belief was that users know their neighbourhoods, villages, and back yards better than anyone else, and so we designed Map Maker as the tool people could use to update these details onto a digital map. Map Maker is now used across the world and today, what started off as an initiative by the Google engineers is now a project that citizens across India can participate in through Mapathon 2013.″
Google Mapathon contest 2013 dates
- Registration opens: 5th February 2013
- Contest starts: 12th Febrauary 2013
- Contest ends: 25th March 2013
- Announcement of Winners: 23rd July 2013
Google Maps – Mapathon 2013 Prizes :
- Top 10 winners will each win Samsung Galaxy Note 800 or a tablet approximately worth INR 36000 /-
- Next 40 winners will each win Samsung Smart Phone I-9100 Galaxy S2 or an Android phone approximately worth INR 24000/-
- Next 50 winners will each win FlipKart Gift Coupons worth INR 5000 /-
- All above 100 winners will also be entitled to a T-shirt and Certificate of Participation from Google.
- There will also be another 900 T-shirts and Certificate of Participation to be won from Google for the subsequent maximum number of approved edits/ data submitted
- 300 special Contest Promotion T-shirts (50 T-shirts to be won every week by Raffle’s winners during the Contest period).
Few years back Google look around to take street views in Bangalore but due to security issues it was stopped. If you are interested in this Mapathon 2013 mapping contest then register yourself. For more info about Mapathon 2013 visit Google Map Maker. Happy Mapping!